Thursday, June 13, 2013

Fake severed hand in street prank sparked police alert

A practical joke went wrong after a severed hand left outside a house as a prank led to residents contacting the police believing it to be real. Amateur make-up artist Patrick Plummer left the prop on the pavement to watch the reactions of passers-by and to amuse his nieces. Then things went a little wrong – the passers-by thought the bloodied hand was real and called police. To Patrick's horror, several officers arrived and started to cordon off the street. He was forced to go outside and admit that it was all a prank. The 34-year-old has now promised to take more care of his lifelike creations – and hopes to scoop a job in the film or television industry.



He said: "I've been doing it for a few years now as a hobby. My sister's children were round and I made it look as though my finger had come off to make them laugh. The kids are used to it now, so we decided to leave it in the street so they could see people walking past wondering what it was. Then we put the hand out in the street. I was back in the house when my sister said, 'You need to look outside the window.' There were officers there getting the police tape out. Then I thought I had better go out and explain myself."

He said the officers "weren't too pleased" having at first been convinced the hand, left in St Paul's Avenue, Hyson Green, Nottingham, was real. "Forensics were apparently on their way to examine it," he added. "People were looking at me in the street as though I'd committed a murder. In the end one of the police officers could see the funny side. He said, 'I know where to come for make-up on Halloween,' shook my hand and gave me a hug."



Patrick, who is unemployed, has been working on the hobby for three years after being inspired by his love of effects in horror movies. He makes severed limbs from casts, latex, cotton wool and paint and can also recreate gunshot wounds. Officers bagged the hand and took it away, although Patrick was not arrested. A police spokesperson said the original call was about the finger. They added: "When officers arrived at the scene, a man, who was understandably red-faced, told us he was responsible. Instead of pointing the finger, we advised him about his actions, which had caused distress. He promptly removed the hand and finger and apologised profusely."

With three videos.

No comments: