Wednesday, October 07, 2015

Fishermen surprised to hook dead wallaby in Devon river

Two Devon fishermen were surprised when they caught something slightly more exotic than the pike they were hoping for after hooking a dead wallaby.



Matt Welham, 27, and Richard Williams, 28, both from Exwick, thought they would try their luck in the flood relief channel by Mill on The Exe near Exeter after spotting a large pike there. Using their long carp rods and special treble-hook lures they cast for the lone big fish.

Matt said: “As it was pike we were bottom fishing and I got a what seemed like a bite. I hauled it in and it looked at first as if there was a dead cat on the line. When it got closer and out of the water it looked like a kangaroo. I guessed it was stuffed but when we saw it close up we realised it was real and a wallaby.



“It must have weighed about 25lb and we reckoned it had been in the water for about two days tops.” Richard added: “There is a farm up by Newton St Cyres that we’d heard kept wallabies so we went up there and told them.” Wallabies, which are known as reasonable swimmers, are usually found in Australia.

7 comments:

COSMO said...

as always, a brilliant compilation of the news that matters

cheers from a LONG time appreciator

and the next time I hear any such talk of quit

I'll fly directly to Scotland (wtfis) and..

Nevermind..too far
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE6EP3Z0PSU


arbroath said...

Many thanks for your kind words, Cosmo.

The thing is, it takes an enormous amount of time sourcing the stories, videos and pictures.

And with one exception, every month since January the number of visitors here have steadily dropped ...

Anonymous said...

We appreciate you Aborath! Mr. & Mrs. S. Loris from Wisconsin

arbroath said...

Thank you, Mr and Mrs S. Loris!

And thanks for visiting.

Ratz said...

Arbroath: I'm sure some of your fans would most willingly be deputised to present you with a digest of things weird and wonderful for you to put up.

Barbwire said...

Your gift is that you make all the work you put into look effortless. We all love this blog. I save it for last, because it's the best. You find the most interesting stuff, and then present it so cleverly, it's delightful. I wish there were something I could do to help. I do always tell my friends about Arbroath, but I guess most do not share my love of the Internet in general, and your marvelous blog in particular. Stay strong, Kevin!

arbroath said...

Cheers, Ratz!

Thank you, Barbwire! :)